Friday 4 October 2013

Free Motion Rosehips


While walking along the front path yesterday I snagged my sleeve on a rose thorn.  It was slightly annoying, but I'm glad I did.  I changed my plans for free motion quilting and decided to try rosehips.  
Here are some sample hips from the offending bush.  In fact, bush is too grand a word.  It is a messy wild rose that has grown from the root stock of a garden rose that we yanked out years ago - because we kept getting caught on thorns as we walked up the path.



And here is the free motion quilting that I have just finished this afternoon, based on the wild rose.  It is another fat quarter sized panel that has been quilted on the Singer 15K treadle.



Here are some of the hips...



... and a few leaves.  I particularly enjoyed doing the thorns.



Making sure the quilting was reasonably evenly spaced was a tussle at times, and I had to take a few botanical liberties. Also I was not sure I was being very consistent with the size of the leaves, because I started yesterday and finished today.  There again, the scruffy rose bush outside isn't exactly consistent, so perhaps I am being botanically accurate after all.

I rather enjoyed doing this pattern.  It took my mind off the fact I have been feeling like a lump of rubbish thanks to a wretched virus.

Welcome to the latest follower, Joma - thank you for joining!

Linking up today with Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday - lots of other projects to see there...
And also to Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday.

6 comments:

  1. This is very impressive FMQ-ing! I think I will have to try it too! Thank for sharing these pictures.
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely inspiration! Your freemotion stitching is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great going! I just love that you got inspiration from an annoyance. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. great great work!
    love these plant-FMQ. I also do something with trees and plants but it still looks not good enough...as yours.
    thanks for sharing
    claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the white on white rose hips. Roses are beautiful even going to seed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muv, I love that you let an irritation turn into something beautful and creative. We should all be living our lives that way all the time--what a world it would be! The rose hips are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...