Tuesday 25 February 2014

Using the Seam Guide when Binding a Quilt


Over the past few weeks, having done two little quilts in quick succession, I have hit on a method for sewing on the binding, using the seam guide to keep it all straight and neat.  The mitred corners have been particularly trouble-free.  On the front the stitching sits close to the edge of the binding, and on the back...



... it is clear of the binding, running parallel to it.




First, I stabilise the cut edge of the quilt with two lines of machine stitching.  This makes the edge firm, so it lines up easily against the seam guide when attaching the binding, and if the quilting is widely spaced, it prevents the top layer from rumpling or pleating.  It also keeps the corners nice and sharp, which makes mitring the corners easier



The seam guide keeps these first two lines of stitching straight.  It has to be placed as far over to the left as possible, so it is right up against the side of the foot.



This places the needle approximately an eighth of an inch from the edge.  Once the first line of stitching has gone all the way round the quilt, I remove the seam guide and put a second line of stitching between the first line and the edge of the quilt.



Next, I attach the binding.  The binding is one and five eighths of an inch wide, with one side ironed over by about a quarter of an inch.  The unironed edge is laid along the edge of the quilt on the back, and the seam guide set to approximately three eighths of an inch.



When the binding is folded over to the front, I place the needle through the work close to the edge of the binding, and then line up the seam guide with the edge of the work.  Only then do I start stitching.  The seam guide prevents the stitching veering off the edge of the binding. 



Using the seam guide has helped me do my neatest binding and best corners ever.  I don't know why it has never occurred to me to try this before.

Linking up today with Connie's blog Freemotion by the River for Linky Tuesday
and Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday

12 comments:

  1. Mmmm... I never thought of sewing twice along the edges. I must try it if you say it makes the binding easier. I love the way you combine the blue with the pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, France, perhaps on a small item as a test piece. I really do think two lines of stitching work far better than one.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I will try this technique when I next bind small charity quilts for families who lose a baby. Love my Singer 15s, but will try this technique with one of my Daves New Vertical Feed treadles. The machines are noisy as the needle moves the fabric so nothing shifts.
    Phyllis in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Phyllis, I've never seen a Davies VF - for pretty obvious reasons - they sound really intriguing!

      Delete
  3. Muv, this looks terrific. I have never been a fan of machine stitched binding as it doesn't look very good - or at least what I have done does not. You have nailed it, though, and while I still really like the hand stitched finish of traditional binding, I can see where I can use this. On children's quilts, doll quilts, and donated quilts, this is a good option because of the quickness and sturdiness. Thanks for the photos and explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Ellen!
      I just haven't got the patience for hand sewn binding - I admire people who hand stitch their way round a large quilt. I think all the practice I have had with machine binding is now paying off!
      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  4. They look so neat and you sound so pleased with them, I must give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work and the double stitching is something I have never done. Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizzie, you are a genius! I just tried your method and my bindings look great! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray Denise! Thank you for letting me know you had a good result!

      Delete
  7. That is great, I'll have to try it! I noticed you had felt or something under your seam guide, does this help to keep it from moving? I've never been successful in using a seam guide, it always moves on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Missy Shay,

      The main reason I started using the felt was to prevent damage to the bed of the machine, but also it means that the screw doesn't need to be quite so tight. Perhaps the screw holes need cleaning so you can get the screw in properly all the way.

      The seam guide is probably the most useful attachment in the box - look at these posts posts for more tips:-

      http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Seam%20guide

      With the Singers I always use one screw, but with the Frister and Rossmann I use two. With that machine there is no chance of the seam guide ever shifting.

      Have fun experimenting!

      Love, Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...