Thursday 5 March 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 34 - A Touch of Purple



I shall do my best not to sound too cheesed off, but I am still in the grip of a ghastly lurg.  It is turning out to be a two week special, so again this week's sewing has been a cot quilt. Not much thinking, just doing.

I only had three strips left of the little rectangles which I have used in all my previous pink cot quilts.  This time, for the strips in between, I included lots of fabrics with purple and mauve to give a slightly different emphasis for the pink.  Combining purple and pink, for me, can sail dangerously close to the ick factor, but I think I managed to keep the whole colour scheme under control.  The sensible navy blue in the binding certainly helped.




My mum made herself a dress in this floral cotton in the 1980s.  When she died she left a very modest sized bag of scraps.




By contrast, my brother's mother in law left an immense stash of scraps, enough for a quilt and lots more.  There was enough of this blue and white floral to make a tea cosy, and I have been eking out the last few scraps in the cot quilts.




This is (probably) the end of this Laura Ashley print from the 1970s.




And the joys of random juxtaposition have given this elephant a fetching purple Mohican headdress.




Yet again I have done swirls for the free motion quilting.  More of the same.  I am looking forward to feeling better and doing something more interesting.


blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg



Here goes for week 34...

Many thanks to QuiltmusingsGwyned, Hilary, Judy, Susan, Lyn, Linda, Angie, Carole, and Teresa for linking up last time.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Angie's blog A Quilting Reader's Garden for WIPs Be Gone
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Michelle's Romantic Tangle for Let's Make Baby Quilts
and Richard and Tanya Quilts for Link a Finish Friday.

7 comments:

  1. Love the Mohican elephant!! I have no idea what being cheesed with a ghastly lurg is, perhaps a bronchitis or a tropical rash? Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh this morning, Donna! I'm on the mend, but slower than I'd like.

    Cheesed off is fed up, and a lurg is a bug, especially one you can't otherwise define.

    I often stare at American blogs wondering what on earth they are on about.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another cute baby quilt! Never thought of pink and purple as being icky together. I learned them as analogous. Such a cute randomness - that elephant. Praying you'll be all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better now, thanks Angie.

      I'm extra cautious about putting pink and purple together. In my book the floral print next to the elephant is total ick, but well worth including for the entertainment value it gave.

      Delete
  4. I loved meeting your vintage fabric. Reminds me that I need to raid mum's fabric stash for forgotten, pretty things! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a feeling some of those fabrics were true vintage! Purple is my favorite color, and the combo of pink and purple reminds me of the Advent candles from my childhood in the Catholic church. I liked them! I wouldn't hesitate to combine pink and purple, especially for a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just counted them - eight fabrics are old stuff. I might start missing them once they are all used up.
      Sooner or later I am going to have to do a little boy quilt, but that would mean collecting fabrics because I have nothing but pretty florals. It's a real dilemma when trying to bust the stash.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...