Thursday 17 September 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 61 - A Finish, A Start and a New Feature

 


 Only a small quilt finished this week, crib size rather than cot size.  It is approximately 27 inches square.
 
 
This is an ideal size for free motion quilting.  I find anything much bigger than this and it can start getting unmanageable.
 
 
These stripes  were a bit worrying.  Frankly, they need a health warning.  They are like an old black and white TV that has lost its vertical hold.  The effect is worst when I am ironing the material.  I feel as though I am going to keel over and crack my head, then come round seeing cartoons.  Fortunately they didn't get me while I was quilting.
  
 
I was much happier quilting the scooters...
 
 
 ... and this entertaining print of toys hanging out to dry.
 
 
The traffic jam print worked a treat for the binding, with all the cars driving round the edge of the quilt.
 
 
I didn't have enough of the plain blue to do all the backing in a single piece, so I used up some odd strips to make it stretch.
 
 
Any excuse to use up the stripes.  I defy anyone to look at this and not feel seasick.  I hope the baby that ends up sleeping under this is a good sailor. 
 
As for this week's new project, I have started a landscape for the annual 12 x 12 challenge at Midsomer Quilting.  Not a massive amount of progress yet...
 
 
... but at least I have started sewing!  No prizes for guessing that it is another thread landscape.
 
And now for a new feature for Free Motion Mavericks.  Every week I shall be revisiting a project from last week's link up. 

blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg


Here goes for week 61..


Many thanks to everyone who linked up last week to show their free motion quilting projects.

The project in Week 60 that really caught my eye was this amazing picture by Andree!  If you haven't visited her blog already, nip over now, and see not only her quilt, but also the photo it was based on. 

Yellow Kayak


If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.


Linking up with Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Nina-Marie's blog Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever for Off The Wall Friday
and Michelle's Romantic Tangle for Let's Make Baby Quilts 
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday
and Grantham Lynn's blog My Journey Back for Link the Linky Party.




13 comments:

  1. Please don't keel over and crack your head! I would miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't fret Donna, I have vowed no more high contrast narrow stripes ever.

      Delete
  2. Lovely baby quilt. Perfect meandering!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new baby quilt is delightful....any little person who gets to sleep under it is very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL This made me think of a job interview where I could hardly focus on the interviewer because of the striped draperies covering the entire wall behind him. Anyway, I love this quilt. You have the most wonderful way of putting these great vintage fabrics together, such as the cars driving around the border. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would want to work for a man with taste like that?

      It is all very distracting playing with all these fun-packed fabrics. Glad you enjoy the results!

      Delete
  5. Always fun to see how you combined the latest set of transportation fabric with accent fabric. Can't wait to see what your landscape thread work turns into.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the same vertigo with a particular black and white houndstooth--I was SO glad to finish that project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the binding on the little quilt. Love that quilting too! Come over and link your party at my party. Mine is The Fabulous Fall/Link The Linky Party. You can link any Fall themed post. (No Halloween) and link your linky too! Indicate it's a party please.
    I'd love you to come over.
    I linked today at Crazy Mom I'm #100!. I've never been 100 before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! Yes, I'll link up this afternoon.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking. Come back Monday after 5:00 and link for next week.
    It changes every Monday.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Muv, your baby quilt is really sweet. I know exactly what you mean about the stripes. I once had a fabric like that, and ended up cutting it up to weave with. It looked much better that way! I also like what you did with the back.
    Thanks for highlighting my quilt. I feel very privileged. I am hoping to make a landscape quilt like yours and Linda's. I'd appreciate any tips you can give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to feature your quilt, Andree. It was the boot lace that clinched it. It gave me such a laugh.
      Now I'm mulling over how to explain how I do the landscapes...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...